Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Letter to Carlos

Dear Carlos,

My new life here in the city, New York, is anything but equal to the rural life we grew up to. Here there are grand buildings scattered throughout the city that they call "sky scrapers," with a park in the middle that is full of well-dressed people. There are also some sports that people often come to watch, and it seems that the people here have plenty of time to themselves throughout the day, specifically for leisure. Though, currently, I don't have that much time to spend for leisure around the city, as I'm usually helping with the construction. But I suppose those activities are for the people with a bit more money in their pockets, anyways.

The only real troubles that I've ran into here in the city are the living conditions of the houses that us poor folk are provided, which they call tenements, and the racial discrimination that I have to face daily. I can get used to the slums which I have to live in, but it's quite difficult to go about the city while constantly being looked down upon for my ethnicity. It was hard enough to find a job, as the city folk seem to only let white people get decent-paying work. Also, it seems that they are trying to assimilate immigrants to their ideals, as I noticed that they required me to speak English if I was to be getting my job. Though, I suppose that's the price we've got to pay for living here. But it is sure worth it! It's better than the rural life back home, and I'd be glad to accept any prerequisites to living here to have a taste of the "American dream" (as they call it) that is shown throughout the city.

-Pedro


Portrait of the city life here in New York

No comments:

Post a Comment